Thursday, May 1, 2014

Cincinnati Reds First Month Review

With April in the books I figured I'd take a look at the first month for the Reds.  Look the season has been a nightmare so far, but with the amount of injuries in spring training and over the first few weeks, I'm actually feeling pretty good about a sub-.500 record. Bryan Price is having some growing pains, but I still believe that he is the guy who's gonna get the Reds some postseason wins. 

The Good

Starting Pitching- Despite Cingrani's recent struggles and Homer's early difficulties, the pitching staff has been pretty good. Alfredo Simon was April's MVP and has possibly the best nickname in the league in Big Pasta. 

The Bad

The #3 and #4 slot- It seems like whatever is put behind Joey, whether he's hitting #2 or #3, has been a black hole. It's early, but we gotta find a lineup that's gonna produce hits to knock Joey in. BP has looked bad at the plate, but I think he'll shape up and start getting used to his new role. People forget that he's hit at every position in the lineup and those adjustments take time. Jay is gonna have his hot months and his cold months, but when he's hot he's among the best sluggers in the league.

The Ugly

Zach Cozart- I feel like Dewey Cox's dad when he yells "The wrong son died!" Didi looked good last year in Arizona, but he's back in Triple A and sucks so I'm not sure he would've been better. At some point management has to start looking at what's available outside the system because Cozart's bat is making Cozart's glove not worth it. 

PS- Indy's split on baseball allegiance so I can start doing a Cubs blog, just know I'm a Reds guy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment